Urgent Help

Where to seek help in a crisis


If you need emergency support, dial ‘000' for the police or an ambulance, or call Lifeline, a free and confidential 24-hour crisis helpline, on 13 11 14.


While it is our mission to help people learn to manage their anxiety and control their alcohol use, we are not equipped to provide urgent help if you are dealing with a crisis.

If you are in a crisis situation, are concerned about feelings or thoughts of suicide, or need to speak with someone urgently, we urge you to contact the following organisations for immediate assistance:

  • Call ‘000' for the police or an ambulance. Stay on the line, speak clearly, and be ready to answer the operator's questions. Or, visit your local hospital's emergency department
  • Lifeline (13 11 14: free, 24/7 access to crisis support and suicide prevention services. They also have an online chat option and text support option.
  • Suicide call back service (1300 659 467): a free nationwide service providing 24/7 phone and online counselling to people affected by suicide 

Where to seek additional (non-urgent) support. Click the headings below for more details.


Mental health issues, low mood, anxiety or stress

  • General practitioner (GP): Contact your family doctor. Consulting with your GP to obtain a Mental Health Care plan can be a valuable step to connect with a psychologist who specialises in mental health and/or substance use concerns. If you have a mental health care plan, the Government will pay some or all of the cost of up to 10 sessions with a mental health expert. Here are the steps for obtaining a Mental Health Care plan
  • Headspace (1800 650 890): free support and psychologist sessions for people aged under 25, with expertise in helping people with low mood, anxiety, as well as alcohol issues. They also have an online chat option.
  • Head to Health: a free, online confidential service that connects people to mental health support. 
  • SANE Australia (1800 187 263): face-to-face, phone or online support for people with recurring, persistent or complex mental health issues and trauma, and for their families, friends and communities.
  • Beyond Blue (1300 224 636): 24-hour telephone counselling support, online chat, and links to local services for people experiencing anxiety or depression, and their families.
  • Mindspot (1800 614 434): free psychological services via telephone and online to adults experiencing mood or anxiety issues.
  • THIS WAY UP (02 8382 1437): online self-help ($59) and clinician guided programs (no cost) for a range of mental health concerns
  • 13YARN (13 92 76): free and confidential crisis support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
  • Mental Health Access Line: free mental health telephone access across all states in Australia

If you're feeling suicidal and want some non-urgent tips on how to stay safe:

This Way Up Clinic has developed a 'Keep Calm, Stay Safe' guide which will give you some information on suicidal thinking, describe some strategies you can use to manage these thoughts, and explain what other supports might be available. 

Post-traumatic stress, trauma or rape

  • 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732): free, 24/7 support people impacted by domestic, family or sexual violence.
  • Child Abuse Prevention Service (02 7232 0422): a non-government, non-religious charity dedicated to the prevention of all forms of child maltreatment. They offer a range of community education programs and services.
  • Full Stop Australia (1800 385 578): confidential, trauma specialist counselling for people of all genders who are impacted by violence and abuse, as well as their friends, colleagues and family members.
  • Mindspot (1800 614 434): have an online course designed to help adults (aged 18+) manage anxiety and low mood following traumatic experiences.
  • Victims Support (Victims Access Line 1800 633 063): up to 22 hours of free counselling and financial assistance for anyone who has experienced an act of violence in NSW, and can include assault, sexual assault, and domestic violence. There doesn’t need to be a charge or a conviction for the victim to receive support.
  • The National Domestic Violence Hotline (1800 799 7233): provides essential tools and support to help survivors of domestic violence so they can live their lives free of abuse.

Drug or alcohol use

  • Counselling Online: free drug and alcohol online counselling, available 24/7
  • Reach Out: practical tools and support to help young people get through everything from everyday issues to tough times. They offer a peer chat option, where peer workers who have experience with mental health challenges use their experience to support others.
  • Family Drug Support Australia (1300 368 186): a 24/7 telephone support and information service for families affected by alcohol and other drug issues.
  • SMART Recovery: in-person and online support groups/programs, and online support manuals that provide practical advice, tools and guidance for people who are seeking support for addiction or problematic behaviours, or their families.
  • Youth Drug and Alcohol Advice (YoDAA) (1800 458 685): telephone information and advice for young people with drug and alcohol concerns, as well as their families, carers and schools.
  • The Daybreak App: an app that provides strategies to start making a change to drinking habits
  • Alcohol & Drug Information Service: for information, services in your area, crisis counselling and support about alcohol and drugs:
    • NSW: regional (1800 422 599) or metropolitan (02) 8382 1000
    • ACT: community health service (02) 6207 9977
    • VIC: Directline (1800 888 236)
    • QLD: (1800 177 833)
    • SA: (1300 131 340) or (08) 8363 8618; Adelaide only
    • WA: regional (1800 198 024) or metropolitan (08) 9442 5000
    • NT: (1800 131 350) or (08) 8922 8399; Darwin
    • TAS: (1800 811 994)